There were too many things that I worked on earlier that I had to keep under wraps. They were all competing for the show and tell this week, but the special project I worked on last year had to be the first one I shared. I have been bitten by the flu bug pretty badly, so a lot of time has recently been spent sleeping, reading or a doing tiny bit of hand sewing. I managed to finish knitting the body of my Oatmeal Pullover and started knitting one of the sleeves last weekend. It’s really a breeze to knit. I will write a full pattern review once I am finished with it.
The biggest WIP of this week is the site redesign. I am a very impatient patient, so I had to do something that would hold my attention. I have been wanting to redesign the site for a while, so I took my laptop, got comfortable with some coffee and took the plunge. I have the main site up and running, but still have a lot of tweaking left to do.
I did a little bit of fabric shopping too, mostly online. A couple more cuts are still coming in the mail. Kris asked me to show them, so here is a quick snapshot of what I’ve got so far. Earlier this year I went through my outstanding project list and made a list of fabrics I needed. I am glad to say that all of these fabrics are for quilts waiting to be made. No extraneous buying!
Have A Latte blog hop is coming up in April at Sew We Quilt and I just had to join. It’s about coffee! I am pretty sure that my blood is made up of about 80% caffeine, so how could I not join! These two yards are for that blog hop.
I saved this very special project for the last. Now and then I design custom patterns on request. A few months ago I got an email from Mandy Shipman. She has been working on a memorial quilt for fallen EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal or bomb squad) techs and she wanted to make a paper piecing block of the badge. She was very willing to pay, but I really couldn’t accept money for this work. All proceeds from this project will go to the warrior foundation. This was the pattern I made for her based on the picture of the badge she emailed me.
I usually don’t mention works for causes here, but I felt compelled to share this one. Mandy sent me a picture of the finished block last week. Unfortunately she had hand surgery, so her friend Susan McDuffie stitched this block together. It was a very complicated design and although I tried to simplify it as much as I could, there were a lot of pieces. Her piecing is absolutely fabulous. It really made my day seeing this finished block. They are going to put this block onto a quilt, I can’t wait to see it!
See you next week,