I finally finished the last block for the music mini quilt. I got a few requests for a piano pattern and play the piano myself, so I decided to make a paper pieced grand piano.
I went through a few iterations of the pattern, specially with the keys area. I didn’t want to cut that area randomly. I also like to minimize the amount of lining up I have to do when I sew sections together. That’s what took me the longest to figure out and I am pretty happy with the final design. I would consider this an intermediate pattern because there are some small pieces in there. I had to keep them small so the piano wouldn’t look too boxy.
I have all three blocks now that I am going to use for my mini quilt -
I am going to sew a black border around the quilt, then make piano keys for the second border. Hopefully I will get to work on that within the next couple of weeks. But before that I need to work on a few blocks that I am swapping with friends.