Last week I mentioned making a couple of pillows out of these extra alpha and beta blocks, I got to work on them shortly thereafter. I wanted to make 16″ pillows and my Greek letter blocks are 5″ x 10″. I was looking for a very simple look for these pillows without any additional colour. So I added more of the same background fabric and turned them into 17.5″ squares.
Then came the harder part, deciding how to quilt it. Since the quilt itself has horizontal line quilting, I wanted to continue that theme of straight line quilting but with a little twist. After a bit of playing around I settled on this L-shaped quilting.
I didn’t want to quilt the beta pillow exactly the same as the alpha pillow. So I kept the L-shaped quilting from the alpha pillow and inverted the design.
After trimming the quilted pillow-tops to 17″ squares and sewing the backs, I had my pillow cases. That’s my April’s one monthly goal already finished.
I will be linking up with One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts at the end of the month.
I only had one 16″ pillow-form at home, so a run to the store was in order. I have been sewing from my fabric stash lately. Last time I purchased fabric was in July of last year. I had fun choosing some new fabrics for paper piecing.
I found these two novelty prints by Tim Holtz, I have special plans for them. I also picked up zippers for bags and replenished my thread supply. All in all, not a bad haul. Oh yes, I picked up a 16″ pillow-form as well.
Individual patterns on Craftsy
Here it is! My To Hellenikon or Greekness quilt and the two pillows. After finishing the first two letters of the quilt, I changed the quilt layout which required me to order more fabric. In the meantime however, the dye lot of the fabric had changed. The khaki background fabric mismatch resulted in the extra alpha and beta blocks, but I am calling it serendipity. I would not have the pillows otherwise.